Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Homemade is best!

Our family loves homemade pizza. I have found a wonderful pizza crust recipe (see below) that is pretty much fool proof. We always make 2 jelly roll pans so there is some for lunch the next day and the pizzas are never the same. We try all kinds of combinations. These were pepperoni with onions and mushrooms (on one) with all the left over cheese that was in the fridge. Some mozzarella and some cheddar and a little Parmesan. My husband made the dough for these for me last night and even he was impressed with how easy it was.


For the two pizzas above, Joe made a double batch of dough and the crust is not too thick.

Pizza Crust
1C. warm water
1T. Yeast
2 1/4 t. Active dry yeast
3 T. Olive oil
1t. Salt
2 1/2 C. Flour

Directions:
Stir water, sugar and yeast together until dissolved. I usually let this set for about 3 to 5 minutes. Add olive oil and salt. Stir in flour until well blended and let rest for 10 minutes.

I usually knead the dough on a floured surface about five times, but that isn't necessary. I roll the dough out on the pan, add sauce and toppings and bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. If I bake two pizzas at the same time, I increase the baking time by five minutes and switch the pizzas half way through. 

This recipe is easily changed by adding herbs to the dough or using whole wheat flour.

Enjoy!!   

1 comment:

  1. We, too, love to make homemade pizzas. I think our dough recipe is pretty similar.

    Thanks for your honest comment on my blog today. Oh how I can understand. However, I want to encourage you to NOT beat yourself up about it.

    I would love to dialogue with you about it, if you'd like to email me. My email address is on the right sidebar of my blog.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Laurel :)

    ReplyDelete