Monday, August 8, 2011

Tomatoes are ON!

OK! Tomatoes are on and need to processed into all things tomatoooeeyyy. Salsa, catsup, pizza sauce, diced tomatoes and maybe even spaghetti sauce if the bounty is large enough. Below I have given the recipe for Catsup that I am using this year. My mom already made some up and we all loved it, even the kidos. It is simple in that it does not require any stirring once its put in the oven for 10 hours.

8 quarts tomato puree (24 lbs tomatoes)
12 oz. thick tomato paste
3 green peppers
5 large onions
2 C. cider vinegar
1C. light corn syrup
1C. sugar
1t. pepper
2T. pickling salt
2t. ground allspice

Puree tomatoes with a squeezo strainer (I use my Kitchen Aid attatchment). Liquify the tomato paste, peppers, onions and vinegar in a blender or food processor. Mix the purees with the remaining ingredients in a large roaster pan. Stir well.
Cook, uncovered, in a 200 degree oven for 10 hours. Do not stir. When the cooking time is up, ladle the hot catsup into clean, hot jars. Leave 1/2 inch head space. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes for pints, 15 minutes for quarts.
YIELD 6 Quarts!  Our family of 7 seems to go through about a quart a week so I hope my tomato plants really produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment