Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Trying Something new!

I have been looking through recipes for homemade granola and wanted to add some dried cranberries to my recipe. The ones in the store are generally boiled in sugar water before they are dried and so I wanted a more natural approach. I was suprised to find that I could do this at home with my oven. I simply had to blanch the berries so that the skins popped and then lightly dry them on paper towel. Layer a baking sheet with 3 layers of paper towel and then a layer of parchment paper. I set my oven to 170 because thats the lowest it will go, but 150 was recomended.  I will leave the berries in the oven for 8 hours. I might actually let mine in there over night. I am excited to see what happens. I purchased the cranberries for $.25 per bag at a discount grocery that I go to. I think that makes for a fair prices since I am leaving the oven on for so long.

Blessings!

Cybil

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great project!

    When I last dried cranberries, they were a bit too tough with the rind, and they were far too bitter for my liking..perhaps if I try it again, I'll give em' a soak in some juice first...maybe that will help both problems..for now I just stick with Craisins!

    Hope yours are just perfect for your granola!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that the honey in the granola helps with the sweetness. We'll see. If nothing else, my kitchen smells great!

    ReplyDelete